Chapter 2 What If You Are Owed Overtime?

When employers do not pay for overtime, employees can bring a lawsuit to recover back wages that they are entitled to. Recovery could include liquidated damages and attorney’s fees.

How do you recover back wages owed to you?

There are several ways that an employee can go about recovering unpaid minimum and/or overtime wages. These include:

  • Filing a private lawsuit for back pay, including an equal amount as liquidated damages, plus attorney’s fees and court costs
  • Through the supervision of government agencies, such as the Wage-Hour Board or the Secretary of Labor

IMPORTANT: Any lawsuit must be filed within 2 years to recover back pay.